Thursday, April 5, 2007
Today I personally rode the mass transit misfit of Tampa. Armed with my map, cell phone, pocket full of quarters and dollars, 2 water bottles, and cheese and crackers. I started in the West end of Tampa and ended up completely lost.

The route was so messed up, that I decided to call a cab. I had the best cab driver in the world. He was so polite, and as I explained what I was doing he gave me a lot of good hints to share with the "traveling" folks. Some of the misinformation about traveling to Tampa is you can't get a cab at the airport. He explained travelers need to check with the hotels they are staying at to see if they offer shuttles or if they have sent a car that way for pickup.

A funny story he shared had me feeling like I had been hugged. He never complained that this was a lousy job (like the previous cab driver did) and that cab company was ripping him off. He explained benefits would be nice, but his wife had a good job and she had the benefits, and he had the flexible schedule. He told me where not to send clients on vacation or visitors if you want to see them again, but he didn't make it seem like Tampa was the ghetto.

I ended up back in downtown and took a trolley ride from Ybor to Channelside and I realized at that point, the trolley was useless. It didn't travel far enough and besides me and curbside Charley, it was empty. Charley said it was because a lot of folks came down here for spring break last week.

Tomorrow is bus riding in Pinellas. Wish me luck... I am looking forward to the Yellow cab ride, they are my preferred.
 
posted by Nite Cricket at 5:43 PM |


0 Comments: