Sunday, April 8, 2007
Did you know that the Basketball finals brought in millions of dollars? Did you know that the Grand Prix brought in millions of dollars? What I am sure you know is this. You can't get there from here.

If you wanted to go from the game in Tampa to the Gulf Beaches you need to rent a car. If you wanted to leave the race because you were drown out by the noise or you were a companion to a huge fan, and wanted to shop instead of smelling the oil burning, you couldn't get to Tampa from there without a car.

Tourism is my business, and the local area is my market. I am afraid to say, you can't get there from here. That is the title of my new book of travel.

Seriously. Let's talk about dollars to our economy. To rent a car you have to be at least 21 or 25 with most major companies. The college finals brought in thousands of college kids. Last I checked, most college seniors were under 22. (with the adult learner exception). HUGE loss of revenue. Restaurants in South Tampa, North Tampa, Middle Tampa, didn't get to enjoy the increase of visitors. Frankly, downtown couldn't accommodate them, Ybor saw visitors at night. Great for Ybor, but there is more to life in Tampa than Ybor.

Which brings me to my next point. In 2 short years another Superbowl is among us. Oh yes, that's right, we had it here in 2000 and what a nightmare for people. By the way, I have been contacted for rooms already. When the National Political Convention looked at us, what did they see???? Tampa can't house everyone, and YOU CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE.

I took 3 days out of my business day, one day I took 6 folks with me. The total not including the cost of salary was approximately $100.00. Add in the overpaid people (just kidding you very important people) and it was still less than 1000.00 to figure out we need change. When the Positive Thinking Guru's come to town at the Convention Center 8 square blocks are slammed. I cannot get my morning latte' because visitor Joe is at my stand saying is there a Starbucks down here anywhere?

Therefore the conventions and groups are looking elsewhere. See ya later money. Goodbye revenue. Hello empty middle district businesses.

There is a plan but it doesn't need a feasibility study, nor a 350,000 grant to underwrite it.

Take a ride on the reading... Or take a book to read and try out Mass Transit.

Labels:

 
posted by Nite Cricket at 11:07 AM |


2 Comments:


At April 8, 2007 at 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

The Women's NCAA Final Four will be in Tampa next year. I traveled from Tampa to Boston to see the women play in '05 and all I could think of in that wonderful city where the subway, walking,or ferries can take you anywhere, is "Tampa is screwed." There is no way people are going to spend as freely as we did in Boston. It's just too hard to get anywhere and be sure you'll be back to your hotel or to the venue when need be.

 

At April 8, 2007 at 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Oops, that should have read Boston in '06.